Amaranth: The Superfood for Astronauts and Athletes
A correct diet is the basis for preventing some diseases, have you ever wondered if you nourish your body correctly or just satisfy your palate? Take advantage of the benefits that superfoods offer to enjoy good health. Read on to learn about the benefits of amaranth, a very valuable superfood for astronauts and athletes.
Medicinal benefits of amaranth
Amaranth is a leafy plant cultivated in America by cultures such as the Incas and Aztecs, its leaves and grains are edible, the grain being used more frequently.
The academy in the United States named amaranth the best plant-based food for human consumption.
Amaranth is considered a superfood for its high nutritional and medicinal value compared to other foods, for this reason it was selected by NASA along with quinoa to improve the diet of astronauts, among its benefits are:
- Prevents colon cancer. It also helps to eradicate bad cholesterol.
- It prevents and controls diseases such as diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, kidney and liver failure, diverticulosis, cholesterol and anemia are some.
- It improves the quality of life if it is included in the diet of people with malnutrition problems and oncological diseases.
- Ideal for people with celiac disease.
- An excellent ally for heart health.
- It contains squalene, an important antioxidant that is only found in large quantities in shark oil. This protects the body from free radicals in addition to strengthening the immune system. At birth, high concentrations of squalene are found in our body and they are lost after the age of 25.
- Possible anti allergic. In China, studies are being carried out to verify its action in topical diseases.
Nutritional benefits of this superfood
- Important source of protein compared to meat and milk, that's why athletes love it.
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
- It contains a good amount of folic acid, calcium, iron and phosphorus. Very important in pregnant women and people with anemia.
- Rich in lysine. An essential amino acid required by the body for the absorption of minerals such as calcium, production of antibodies and collagen, the stimulation of growth hormone, and the regulation of blood nitrogen levels in adults. Remember that essential amino acids are obtained from food.
- Good source of fiber, an ideal superfood for people who follow a diet to lose weight.
- The leaves of the plant are also edible, they should be eaten tender and cooked . These provide calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C and K.
How can I consume amaranth?
Do not deprive yourself of consuming this superfood just for not knowing its uses, with a little creativity you can include it in your meals. Its preparations with grains include it as an ingredient in soups, sweets, desserts, preparations with dough, rice, pancakes, batters and stews are some.
The pulverized grain is turned into flour. In the fitness industry it is found as a puffed snack in bars accompanied by chia, quinoa and flaxseed sweetened with yacon, it is very nutritious before or after training.
Chocke-Obleas wafers its a perfect option to include Amaranth in your diet!
- If you consume the leaves, you must cook them to eliminate the amount of oxalates.
- May interact with blood pressure and sugar medications.
Was this information helpful? Don't forget to share the article with your friends!
- Amaranth: Superfood for Astronauts and Athletes (Tiptar by Rianna Ross)
- Amaranth News Extracted June 16, 2016.